There are approximately 60 million refuges in the world today. Half of these are children.
As these stories begin to fade from headline news, it is important we remember that millions of refugees around the world are still in a desperate situation and in need of help.
Here are some simple ways you can get involved and help today.
First of all, take the time to really learn about the situation; ignorance is often the basis of misunderstanding and fear. As you make an effort to learn about the challenges and stories of these people, you will want to help.
- Understanding different cultural customs and practices
- Becoming their friends
- Educating yourself and others
- Taking a stand against intolerance
- Promoting compassion and understanding
- Getting to know firsthand what is needed
- Highlighting strengths in other cultures
If you are in a position to give financially to the cause, here are some places that you can make a small donation:
● Save the Children: distributing essential items such as diapers, hygiene kits, and food
● Red Cross Europe: providing emergency health services at central train stations
● Migrant Offshore Aid Station: preventing migrant deaths at sea
● International Rescue Committee: improving living conditions by setting up camps
● The UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR): providing water, mosquito nets, tents, and healthcare
● Refugee Action: providing advice about claiming asylum, the asylum process, and asylum support
If you have the ability to donate your time and skills, start by seeking opportunities within your community.
There are simple things you can do that will help a lot:
- Sign petitions calling for more support of refugees
- Teach the local language to newcomers in your area
- Help refugees practice for job interviews
- Give rides to refugees
Many great organizations are looking for volunteers. Check out their websites to see how you can lend a helping hand.
- Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA)
- Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
- International Committee of the Red Cross/Red Crescent (ICRC)
- International Medical Corps (IMC)
- International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund(UNICEF)
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees(UNHCR)